- TOOLBOX Catalog of Resources for K-6 Educators (Products and Services)
Curricula for a Safe and Caring Learning Environment
- TOOLBOX™ Primer (K-6): Empower your students with Tools to build resilience, self-mastery, and empathy for self and others. Written for teachers and school staff, this guide is the foundation for using TOOLBOX™ across all school contexts to create a safe and caring environment for optimal learning. Instruction is provided on how to introduce each of the 12 Tools and apply them on a daily basis, with classroom practices and supporting pedagogy. Purchase includes access to the TOOLBOX Web Portal for videos, electronic documents, and more.
- TOOLBOX™ Lesson Plans K-3 or 4-6: (supplement to TOOLBOX™ Primer): Provide a full range of instructional activities for teaching TOOLBOX. Teaching practices are outlined for a robust first-year in tandem with the Primer, or following the Primer in subsequent years of implementation. Lesson Plans include instruction on: using children’s literature to introduce each Tool, pair-share and circle activities, expressive arts activities, imagination proficiency, academic integration, role-plays and journaling prompts for older students, puppet plays for younger students, and parent/caregiver connections for bringing TOOLBOX home. Purchase includes access to the TOOLBOX Web Portal for videos on each Tool and downloadable support documents for all units. You will receive one free TOOLBOX Tote Bag with every TOOLBOX Lesson Plans K-3 or 4-6!
Grades K-3 Classroom Materials
- TOOLBOX Fan Deck (for adults): 12 ovals on a lanyard represent each of the Tools with icons and taglines. We offer both English-only and Spanish-English versions. Invite every staff member to wear the Fan Deck to bring TOOLBOX into the school community.
- 12-Tools Poster K-3: Hang this poster on the wall of your K-3 classroom. Purchase extras for school hallways, offices, and gathering places.
- Feelings Poster K-3: Help children build their vocabulary and awareness about different emotional states through this delightful collection of colorful photographs featuring young children. New for 2016!
- Puppet Set: Children love to learn the Tools through these charming puppets. Lesson Plans K-3 provides instruction on how to use puppets to introduce the Tools and illustrate how to resolve social and emotional issues through puppet plays.
- Manila Toolboxes K-3 (sets of 30): a manila cut-out of a toolbox that becomes a child’s personal toolbox. Give each student their own toolbox!
- Large Tool Cards K-3 (sets of 30): 12 Large Tool Cards for children. As each of the Tool lessons are taught, students receive a specific Large Tool Card to decorate and add to their own personal toolbox. Two versions available: English or English/Spanish (English/Spanish version shown).
Grades 4-6 Classroom Materials
- TOOLBOX Fan Deck: (the 12 Tools on a lanyard for adults): 3×5” ovals representing each of the 12 Tools with tool-specific icons and taglines. We offer both English-only and Spanish-English versions. Invite every staff member (from principal, teacher, and support staff to bus drivers and after-school staff) to wear the Fan Deck to bring TOOLBOX into the classroom and school community.
- Tools for the Journey Poster 4-6: Hang this poster in your 4-6 classroom. The “Journey of the Peaceful Warrior” is the theme for this poster and for the older elementary student.
- Feelings Poster 4-6: Help children build a more sophisticated vocabulary and awareness about different emotional states through this expanded collection of colorful photographs featuring older children. New for 2016!
- Small Tool Cards 4-6: Students can assemble their own Fan Decks using these Small Tool Cards a Tool at a time — as each of the 12 Tools are taught throughout the year. Front side: Tool name; Back side: Tool icon. Two versions available: English or English/Spanish (English/Spanish version shown).
- TOOLBOX Student Journal: Encourage students to express their own experiences and ideas about using the 12 Tools. Can be used in conjunction with Lesson Plans 4-6 journal prompts.
- Book Sets (K-1, 2-3, 4-6, and K-6): Developmentally-appropriate book sets for the classroom are an integral part of TOOLBOX Lesson Plans K-3 and 4-6 . The books serve as an entryway to understanding the 12 Tools. Books for each Tool have been carefully selected and organized into developmental sets (K-1, 2-3, and 4-6). Our Standard Implementation Package includes a full set of literature for each classroom teacher. The K-6 Book Set includes all three developmental sets (K-1, 2-3, and 4-6) and may be used as a shared library resource for students, as well as counselors, RSP, and other teachers.
Additional Resources for Schools/Districts
- Administrator’s Guide: Be informed on all facets of implementing TOOLBOX™. For administrators or SEL leaders, this guide introduces TOOLBOX pedagogy and school-wide approaches, including its common language, inquiry-based approach, academic integration, positive behavior strategies, connection to Common Core State Standards and research, as well as appendices of best practice implementation strategies. Purchase of Administrator’s Guide includes access to the TOOLBOX Web Portal for videos on each Tool and downloadable support documents.
- Circle of Friends: Give all children the TOOLBOX™ support they need. This is a Tier II-targeted curriculum for leading small groups based on the 12 Tools. The Circle of Friends guide is perfect for counselors and specialists working with children who need more TOOLBOX practice and skill-building. With a focus on building self-awareness and self-regulation skills, this curriculum covers 12 sessions with activities to introduce and practice each Tool. Purchase of Circle of Friends includes access to the TOOLBOX Web Portal for videos on each Tool and downloadable support documents for small group TOOLBOX implementation.
Recommended products to accompany Circle of Friends:
- Circle of Friends Book Set
- Student Journals
Resources for Individuals, Parents, or Homeschoolers
- All purchases of curricula and guides include access to the TOOLBOX Web Portal for downloadable support documents, TOOLBOX videos, and access to the TOOLBOX materials order form for purchasing additional TOOLBOX materials.
- Parenting with TOOLBOX is about using the Tools yourselves as parents. Your child’s healthy relationship with you is the number one resiliency factor in childhood and teen development. Building your capacity for self-regulation and resilience gives you the opportunity to “show up” as the kind of parent you most want to be with your child.
TOOLBOX is a gift to children to find the tools that lie within them to navigate their world in a loving, caring, empowering manner. The tools speak to the children (because it came from the children) and they not only use them, they teach their families and parents how to use the tools also.
—Vanessa Bramlett, Principal, Grant Elementary, San Lorenzo Unified School District>
To learn more, contact us using this information form.